12.04.2008

so i am a little concerned about a couple of things:

1] my christmas lights aren't up yet - i was promised by saturday. because we reside in "the zone" and it is still t-shirt weather on december 4th, i have a hard time getting into the holiday/winter festivities. just in the last year i've decided it might be nice to live somewhere with seasons, but i don't want to shovel snow or be inhibited by the weather - picky, picky, picky. happy holidays!

2] my boy is getting skinnier. i love grey's chub as much as i love his smile, crawling into bed or eating shaved ice. in the past 5 months [he is 8 months, but was a skinny shrimp for the 1st 3 months of his life] he has been referred to as lardy, sumo, king size, etc. even though i shovel a generous bowl of rice cereal and an entire stage 2 tub of food into his mouth 3 times a day, he's been burning some calories, and he's working it out. i am sad about it. really sad about it.

3] i never really get too personal on my blog because i think "who really wants to know or who reads this anyway." and to be truthful, i know i am not a good communicator [never have been, probably never will be, but i am working on it] and i always wonder whether people understand my real intentions. i don't want to be mistaken or come across as something i am not. you following me? 

then i was briefly talking to my good friend tarah about my internal blogging struggles and she had some words of wisdom. she said, "don't worry, blog for yourself. it's a way of journaling." she's a smarty pants, that girl. duh! i love going back and reading old entries. you can even have your blog made into a book - i just might consider it. genius, really.

so i have decided that this is what my blog is, my journal. and that is my new approach. i won't care who reads it. i won't care if there are 0 comments. i won't care if you don't read it. i would love it if you do. i love getting feedback. and i love you. so that is that! and now...

journal entry #1:

do you ever get in to a funk? something isn't right, but you just can't put your finger on it. so this has been me for the last month 1/2 to 2 months. i have been out of sorts, not really feeling like myself - lots of frustration, confusion, guilt and loneliness. moms are great for venting so that is what i did monday night. she's a great listener. on my way home, avril lavigne's "nobody's home [live]" shuffled on [disclaimer: i went through a very fun punk rock stage around my freshman  year of college - wasn't too hardcore or serious]. so, i lost it. i cry quarterly. about every 4 months i need a good cry. i like to think of myself as pretty even keeled, but i am a girl! these are the thoughts that were running through my cluttered head:

i am so overwhelmed with work and finances. i am not spending enough quality time with grey - he's been neglected and i can't take it back. i have such a supportive husband who works so hard. my heart aches for those who are losing their jobs or their homes - how could this be happening to such great people? there is so much uncertainty in the world and i feel helpless about it. i feel like someone or something else is controlling my life.  my house is a disaster - it is always a disaster. i am not a good homemaker. grey is so good, why am i having issues? i need a break from staring at the computer editing pictures. i am so grateful for my talents. i need to be more grateful. i have an amazing family. i need to be a better missionary. i need to be a better friend, but i am bad at it. you get the picture ... 

then, a thought popped into my head. it was from a visiting teaching message that i gave a couple of months ago [lesson learned: visiting teaching serves many purposes. like saving a girl from a major break down]. the heart of the lesson was, "you can't love others and others can't love you unless you love yourself first." hmmm... it all made sense right then. that is the problem, and that is what i am working on. no, i am not going to wake up in the morning, look at myself in the mirror and say "you've got it. you've really got it going on." but, as i was talking to jeff about it, he told me something his mission president told him as he was leaving taiwan. he said, "if there is every any unhappiness in your life, it is because something is out of balance."  makes perfect sense. obvious sense. 

and to go further, i was at institute yesterday morning and the instructor [who is the world's best teacher] was talking about the atonement [i have always struggled with how to "fully" use the atonement in my life. i know i do things i shouldn't or don't do things i should, but i am not robbing banks or taking lives so i have felt a little unsure]. she talked about how jesus suffered for our sins and how he felt every sadness, insecurity and heartache that we feel. her point was, if we use the atonement, we don't need to feel these things [granted it's human nature]. we don't need to beat ourselves up, we don't need to dwell on sadness because he's already been there, done that,  and he can take it all away. i knew this, but i just needed to be reminded. it was exactly what i needed to hear at the exact right time. 

so that was my epiphany and i decided to share it with you. i am focusing on finding balance emotionally, spiritually, physically, in my work, family and as a mom. i will find new ways to be grateful for who i am and what i have been given. as i do this, i will be able to influence other people's lives for the better and find more happiness on a day to day basis.

can anyone else relate? or you think i am crazy, don't you? it's okay. good day!

[if you read this whole thing, you deserve a cookie]


19 comments:

Momma Ann said...

I am excited that I am the first and only comment at the moment. I LOVED your comments and I did read the entire thing--I'm waiting for my cookie. I think I will post both the comment from your institute teacher and from Jeff's mission president. I have often gone on the same 'trip' that you are on--it is a normal part of life, but it usually comes at the lowest point of the valley and then you return to some greater heights. Reading this gave me a better insight into your heart and soul. Thanks for sharing. I don't have a blog but would love your thoughts sometime on my e-mail as well or by phone even though you hate talking on the phone!

Hope our time together at Christmas will bring special moments and memories, and that we can all come to understand and know one another as family members. Loves

Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah said...

Megan, you are the GREATEST! I loved this post, and I'm sure many comments will follow that agree with me. I love that you posted it because I think we have all felt it, too. I've realized that, for some reason, as soon as you become a mom all sorts of guilt flows into your brain. Guilt along with feelings of inadequacy; feeling that you can't seem to do anything right at anything in your life. At least, that's how I've felt. But your epiphany is perfect. That is the answer: faith in Jesus Christ. Following Him provides the balance. He is the way. And to quote a really great talk: "Every other way, any other way, whatever other way is foolishness." I love that you know that. I love that you are seeking after that... it inspires me to continue to do it, too.

liz said...

so first off, when you wrote that you listened to avril and before i read the little part about your punk rock stage (which i knew about b/c thats when our wonderful friendship blossomed) i thought about you freshmen in the dorms living beneath me wearing white tees, and black dickies and you had black underneath on your hair.. brought back lots of good memories!
anyways, i just want you to know that i think your great and that i struggle all the time with feeling like i should be doing more or that i waste time and that i shoud be more productive. and i always feel like i should be doing more spiritually.. so i really loved your post and i am glad taht your going to treat as a journal b/c i always wish we lived closer and i miss you and reading your posts makes me happy and makes me feel like you are just down that hall!

and i loved gray chubby too but hes gotta get his sexyback for the ladies! :)

love you!

Drew and Tarah said...

Agreed! I agree with both Momma and Sarah. Everyone feels that sometimes. And it always makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one. Not that I go around happy when other people are feeling down, but I think it's nice to know that everyone has ups and downs.

Don't you just love a good cry? Sometimes a good 10 minute cry-for-no-good-reason-session is all a girl needs! Love it!

I'm thrilled that you blogged and that you are blogging for you! I think you'll love loving back on all these fun memories of your first year of motherhood. Kinda like when you read your journal from your freshman year of high school or something. It's fun and embarrassing at the same time. Anyway, this is entirely too long, YOU deserve a cookie! (I already ate mine)

Ani said...

I'll take a chocolate chip! I think you are just great!
I am jealous of all the great things you are doing. I am trying to be more like you!
It is true what you said about finding a balance. It is so hard. Why does this mothering thing have to be so emotional?

Lauren said...

Thanks for posting your thoughts. I think I needed to read that as much as you needed to write it. I hate going through funks (which is often)- the only thing that gets me out of it is the gospel and my family.

OurHappyFamily said...

Amen, great thoughts and you're not alone! We've all been there!

Great post... Happy Holidays!

Austyn said...

so glad you wrote this- it's really easy for people to look at your life and think it's perfect and amazing: good looking couple, good looking baby, nice house, etc etc etc. this shows that you are in fact human! i guess we all have our own things to deal with but i still think you guys are amazing.

kat said...

I'm sorry I don't comment very often, but I just wanted you to know that I have your blog in my google reader and I love to keep up on what's going on with your family. We all get those funks and have our problems. Good luck finding your balance:)

Tim and Jennifer said...

It would be great if I did get a cookie. I love this post. I think we all could write it. I don't even have a job outside the home and I feel like I have a hard time balancing everything. Babies change so fast and so I think it's easy to see time lost. If you figure out how to balance it all, do a post about that too!! Kyle is losing his chunk and it makes me so sad too. There's just something wonderful about a chunky baby.

Stephanie said...

i always love reading your blog and i think you are a great communicator. i am glad you are feeling better about things. it is hard to be a mom and i know i never feel like i am doing a good enough job. but don't you worry, you are amazing! i want to be more talented and productive like you. thanks for sharing.

The Huish House said...

I get a cookie!!!!

The Huish House said...

Oh...by the way....

I think "you've got in going on!"

natalie todd said...

Hey Megan,

Loved reading your thoughts. I think everyone goes through that... prob some more than others (I do). I am always thinking I could be a better nurse, am I even a good nurse, wife, etc.?? Oh what your mind does to you!

We haven't seen you guys in FOREVER and never even seen Grey. This has got to stop! I don't think I emailed you our address. I don't remember. Oh well I'll just send it again and I want yours back!

I'll take any kind of cookie!

Ashly said...

can i just tell you i LOVE this post. nothing better than some fabulous honesty and a little humor. thanks again for the pics. oh and i saw jenny's on her blog....the CUTEST things i have ever seen. I am officially obsessed as are all my sisters. they are all so jealous! you are amazingly talented so i am sure it is a struggle to not spend too much time doing something you are so good at!

kathryn said...

i get a cookie. (as if i need it). i loved your post. it was so real. it made me love you even more. can't wait to see you guys at christmas!!!

theniufamily said...

first of all, how can you not read the whole thing. that was amazing. i have times like that all the time. i think we all do. it i9s strange somethime how we can get so down on ourselves even when we have so much more then most people out there. don't feel like you care crazy. you are such a talented wonderful person. i admire you so much and it probably felt great to get that out there. you are awesome!

Mikaela said...

This will seem really weird coming from me since I don't know you Megan but.... Jeff and I were pretty close friends in high school (great times cleaning the dental offices with the Baird and getting doughnuts) and we use to talk about what we wanted in a spouse alot. I will say this, he had high expectations, but at the same time you seem like exactly what he was looking for. He also probably had the greatest example of marriage of anyone I know. I am sure the family talks about Ann and Allen being great examples all the time. I use to joke I would marry him or John just for the in-laws. So, I am sure that he is crazy in love with you and doesn't see the flaws even remotely clearly. I am glad to see you guys have a happy little family and tell Jeff hello. Sad how we haven't talked since before his mission, but life changes. Keep your chin up Megan, I am sure Jeff didn't settle for less than the AMAZING person he had dreamed up haha.