10.24.2008

wait!

to my anonymous friend (are we friends? who are you?) who's comment i regretfully deleted on my last entry, i am sorry. i want to ask you if you will give me a little insight as to why you think "everyone who says obama is a socialist" is ignorant. call it what you will, but aren't these the policies that he plans to implement? now, i am not wanting to pick a fight or spark a flame, i simply just want to be educated on your perspective. i honestly want to hear it from your side. fill me so i can be more informed. thank you!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I see no one has been willing to comment on this post, so I thought I'd rock the boat a little bit.

I do not think that everyone that feels Obama is a socialist is ignorant. However, I do think that this argument against him is extreme and slightly misinformed.

Yes, Obama does want raise taxes for people earning over $250,000 a year. As I understand it, the middle-class and lower-class have had taxes raised for the past eight years (or more) while those making over $250,000 have gotten tax cuts. During this time, the gap between the rich and the poor has widened and the middle-class is shrinking. There is an imbalance of wealth in the country at this time. Obama's tax proposal is to try to bring balance to this situation. Additionally, only 2% of the nation's households make over $250,000 a year (you can double-check this on factcheck.org); this is not your average American family that will be affected.

I do not view either of the candidate's tax proposals as much different from past presidents or presidential nominees. Republicans want to lower taxes. Democrats favor raising taxes, generally. I am not, therefore, surprised that Obama wants to raise taxes.

My last point is that the tax issue is completely irrelevant anyway. We are in a trillion-dollar war and have just spent about a trillion dollars on this economic crisis. Someone is going to have to pay for this, so I don't think anyone is going to escape a tax increase. (And speaking of socialism, don't even get me started on how socialistic it is for the United State's government to own stake in almost ever major bank in the country.... but that's another topic for another day).

Maybe this is helpful, maybe not (and sorry it is a novel!). I am not "rah, rah, go Obama", but the arguments against him have seemed skewed at times. I don't think he is someone to be feared and I don't think he is evil. I believe that both John McCain and Barack Obama are trying to to what they feel is right for the country.